Sometimes people ask me, “What can I do to serve Jesus?”
They want to do something for God, but at Grace we don’t have sports teams for Jesus, American Idol church version, circuses for Christ, nor church sleepovers, so they think their options are limited.
On the contrary, there is a lot to do. Here are a few things:
1. Study – This is needed for your own maturity, and for those times when someone asks you about Bible doctrine. This needs to be done individually, and in groups.
2. Talk to people about doctrine – This is the main duty of God’s ambassador of the truth.
3. Create resources – If you are saved you can write your testimony in the form of a tract, or you can create a resource for others to learn from.
4. Direct people to current resources – There are lots of ways to direct people to sound doctrine: yard signs, billboards, commercials, websites, business cards.
5. Good works – God ordains us to do good works, and it adorns the doctrine (Eph 2:10, Titus 2:14).
6. Talk to people about your salvation – Being comfortable communicating your own testimony will build confidence and will open doors to do the next thing.
7. Evangelize – When our focus is on doing God’s will in 1 Tim 2:4, it is amazing how many things we find that suddenly need to be done.
Jesus wants to make all men see the fellowship of the mystery. Of course, this requires some real work. What most people mean to ask is, “Can I get God to sponsor what I like to do?”
In that case, you need to change what you like to do.
For God’s glory,
Justin “lots to do” Johnson