While there is no place or purpose for the supernatural power of tongues any longer in this dispensation there remains those who confuse the rest of us with their so-called power to speak in unknown tongues.
Paul says to the Corinthian believers that he would rather speak five words that can be understood in the church than ten thousand in tongues.
“Yet in the church I had rather speak five words with my understanding, that by my voice I might teach others also, than ten thousand words in an unknown tongue.” – 1 Corinthians 14:19
Ten thousand words may be the amount of words spoken in about an hour’s worth of preaching. Apparently, an entire sermon of tongue talking could be replaced with five words.
Below is a list of five word phrases that Paul spoke that were more beneficial than tongue talk. Perhaps some of these are what he had in mind when he wrote 1 Corinthians 14:19.
1. Just shall live by faith – Rom 1:17
2. None righteous, no, not one – Rom 3:10
3. For there is no difference – Rom 3:22
4. Justified freely by his grace – Rom 3:24
5. Through faith in his blood – Rom 3:26
6. At this time his righteousness – Romans 3:26
7. Man is justified by faith – Romans 3:28
8. Was delivered for our offences – Romans 4:25
9. Raised again for our justification – Romans 4:25
10. Therefore being justified by faith – Romans 5:1
11. While we were yet sinners – Romans 5:8
12. By one man sin entered – Romans 5:12
13. Sin shall not have dominion – Romans 6:14
14. Wages of sin is death – Romans 6:23
15. I magnify my office – Rom 11:13 (only 4 words!)
16. Secret since the world began – Romans 16:25
17. In every thing give thanks – 1 Thess 5:18
18. By grace are ye saved – Eph 2:8
19. Christ died for our sins – 1 Cor 15:3
20. and that he rose again – 1 Cor 15:4
21. Be ye reconciled to God – 2 Cor 5:20
If we replaced every ten thousand word tongue talking with one of these phrases by course then we might finally hear the gospel again in Pentecostal churches!
Top of the Page
Published: May 16, 2009
Last Modified: May 23, 2020
Receive articles like this in our weekly email update sent free to subscribers.